Our vision is to be at the heart of Castleton University's community, playing an integral role in the intellectual and academic life of our campus, collaboratively fostering information literacy, and offering valued and effective library services in an inclusive and inviting space.
- Ensure access to current and relevant collections to support research, teaching and learning, and civic engagement.
- Maintain the currency and relevancy of our physical collections through regular and thorough collection analysis and deselection.
- Explore options for sharing additional database subscriptions with other Vermont State Colleges libraries.
- Fully participate in the selection and implementation of a new integrated library system for the Vermont State Colleges libraries.
- Continue to support the Archives Working Group in increasing access to and awareness of the library’s archival and special collections.
- Invest in user-centered library spaces.
- Assess the condition and usage of our existing space and solicit feedback on space needs.
- Explore additional options for offering food and beverages in the library.
- Implement an online system for booking library conference rooms.
- Expand event offerings and the library’s social media presence to increase engagement with faculty and staff, students, and members of the broader community.
- Strengthen partnerships with faculty and staff to promote student success and foster integrative and effective approaches to teaching information literacy.
- Restructure the library’s instruction program to support the integration of information literacy, as defined by the Association of College and Research Libraries’ Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education, across the curriculum.
- Restructure reference services to better support student research and scholarship and to more efficiently use technology and existing staff.
- Redesign online research guides to reflect best practices in research support.
- Support an organizational culture of service excellence and collaboration.
- Prioritize and support the professional development of library staff, including providing opportunities to learn about emerging trends and changing student needs.
- Expand student employment opportunities to advance their professional growth and development and provide transferrable workplace skills and experiences.
- Provide regular training for library faculty and staff on emergency procedures.
- Explore additional opportunities for outreach and partnerships with the broader community.
Adopted May 2017